Verbal Clues – Saying things like:
- I shouldn’t be here.
- I’m going to run away.
- I wish I were dead.
- I’m going to kill myself.
- I wish I could disappear forever.
- If a person did this or that…..would he/she die?
- The voices tell me to kill myself.
- Maybe if I died, people would love me more.
- I want to see what it feels like to die.
Behavioural Clues – Doing things like:
- Talking or joking about suicide.
- Giving away possessions.
- Preoccupation with death/violence; TV, movies, drawings, books, at play,
- Risky behaviour; jumping from high places, running into traffic, self-cutting.
- Having several accidents resulting in injury; “close calls” or “brushes with”
- Obsession with guns and knives.
- Previous suicidal thoughts or attempts.